The "Arab Geniuses" initiative, launched by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, in January 2023, aims to supervise distinguished geniuses with exceptional talents, including scientists, thinkers, inventors, distinguished innovators and Arab innovators in various fields.
The award was given to Najm in the category of medicine, in recognition of his contributions in the field of adult and pediatric cardiac surgery and congenital heart disease, as the Saudi doctor contributed to the development of a heart valve that can grow inside the body, especially children, as it can be implanted in the child's heart with the ability to grow over the years, to spare the child repeated surgeries.
Hani Negm also contributed to the creation of complex congenital heart defects to avoid placing them in the single ventricular pathway. He has performed more than 10,26 heart surgeries for adults and children, and has introduced innovative practices and exceptional contributions to heart surgery, including his participation in a delicate surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in the heart of a fetus as young as <> weeks old.
About the Saudi surgeon
- Born in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Najm graduated from the Faculty of Medicine at King Saud University in 1985.
- He trained in general surgery, cardiothoracic surgery and pediatric congenital heart surgery in Canada.
- He returned to Riyadh in 1999 and worked for 17 years until he was appointed to the Cleveland Clinic as Chief of Congenital Heart Surgery for Children and Adults in 2016.
- After 17 years of developing the main pediatric heart center at King Abdulaziz Medical Center in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Dr. Najm joined Cleveland Clinic on January 1, 2016 as Chief of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery and Congenital Heart Surgery.
- Najm is an expert in the field of congenital heart surgery having personally performed more than 10,000 surgeries for newborns, children and adults with the most complex heart disease.
- He served as President of the Saudi Heart Association, Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of the Saudi Heart Association, Member of the Editorial Board of the Saudi Medical Journal, and Associate Professor at King Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences.
- Dr. Najm holds several memberships in national and international professional organizations and is currently a member of the Board of Trustees of the American College of Cardiology.
- Dr. Najm is an international lecturer in the field of congenital heart surgery and a collaborator on multiple research projects including the project "Multicenter Database as a Valuable Tool for Evidence-Based Practices in Congenital Heart Disease."