The Syrian Arab News Agency quoted a military source as saying: “At approximately 17:00 this evening, the Israeli enemy launched an air attack from the direction of the occupied Syrian Golan, targeting the Iranian consulate building in Damascus.”

He continued: "Our air defense forces responded to the aggression's missiles and shot down some of them. The aggression led to the destruction of the entire building and the killing and wounding of everyone inside. Work is underway to recover the bodies of the dead, treat the wounded, and remove the rubble."

For his part, the director of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Rami Abdel Rahman, reported that there had been an "Israeli attack" targeting a building attached to the Iranian embassy in Damascus.

Speaking to Sky News Arabia, Rami Abdel Rahman said that there are “reports that Iranian figures were targeted in the bombing of the Mezzeh area.”

He added: "The bombing on the building in Mezzeh, Damascus, resulted in the deaths of 6 people."

Iranian state television confirmed that several Iranian diplomats were killed in this strike.


While the Iranian Nour News website stated that “the Iranian ambassador was not harmed in the attack that took place in Syria.”

A security source revealed to Reuters that an Israeli strike on Damascus killed the commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, Mohammad Reza Zahedi.

Commenting on the incident, the White House said: “We are aware of reports of an Israeli air strike on the Iranian embassy in Damascus on Monday and are evaluating that.”

The Syrian Arab News Agency reported earlier that an explosion was heard in the vicinity of Damascus, and said that Syrian air defenses intercepted “hostile targets.”