What was the implosion of the Titan submarine that was exploring the Titanic?


(CNN) --

The submarine Titan, which was carrying out an expedition to the remains of the Titanic, suffered a "catastrophic implosion" in June 2023. Here is a chronology of what happened.

Friday, June 16: the expedition leaves

The expedition departs from Newfoundland, Canada, on the support ship Polar Prince, which takes participants to the site of the Titanic wreck.

Sunday, June 18: the submarine disappears

The Polar Prince launches the submarine Titan around 9 am, and there begins its two-hour dive to the wreckage of the Titanic.

She loses contact with the ship after 1:45 hours of descent.

Her last communication with the surface occurred at 11.47 am. The US Coast Guard was alerted and search operations began that same day.

The US Navy detects an acoustic signal compatible with an implosion and transmits that information to the commanders directing the search efforts, a senior official explained to CNN.

But the sound is determined to be "not definitive," the official says, and the search continues.



    "I think there was peace" at the end of the Titan submarine's last voyage

Monday, June 19: race against time

The US and Canadian Coast Guards continue searches on the surface and at depth.

A Canadian aircraft and two C-130s conduct aerial and radar searches and buoys are deployed to listen for sounds in the water column.

According to authorities, if the submarine remains intact, it is estimated that it will be able to support life for another 70 to 96 hours.

The US Coast Guard says its priority is locating the vessel.

British businessman Hamish Harding is identified as one of the passengers.

Tuesday, June 20: noises and search

The sonar detects banging noises underwater at 30-minute intervals, according to an internal government memo.

The US Coast Guard says underwater noises were also detected by a Canadian P-3 aircraft, but searches "returned negative results."

The search expands to a massive international operation with submarine capabilities.

More ships and planes join the mission.

The other crew members have already been identified as Stockton Rush, CEO and founder of OceanGate, Pakistani billionaire Shahzada Dawood and his son, Suleman Dawood, and French diver Paul-Henri Nargeolet.

Wednesday, June 21: doubts about OceanGate

The US Coast Guard is expanding the search area, at a time when available oxygen levels on the submarine are believed to have risen to critical levels.

A fleet of specialized ships and equipment is deployed, including a US Navy salvage system capable of recovering vessels from the ocean floor.

More knocks are heard and the remotely controlled vehicle (ROV) equipment is relocated to try to locate them, but to no avail.

Questions are being raised about the safety of the submersible, including the fact that the operator, OceanGate Expeditions, refused a safety review of the Titan.

  • Two former OceanGate employees years ago expressed doubts about the safety of the missing submarine's hull

Thursday, June 22: They find remains of the Titan, there was an implosion

A remote-controlled vehicle reaches the seabed for the first time, as new high-tech ships and medical personnel move to the search site and efforts reach a crucial moment.

Around noon, the US Coast Guard says a field of debris was discovered in the search area and authorities later claim it is from the outside of the missing submarine.

OceanGate says it believes the passengers "have sadly died."

In an update, the US Coast Guard says five large pieces of debris from the submarine were found and are "consistent with catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber."

Around 3 pm Miami time, Rear Admiral John Mauger says the ship suffered a "catastrophic implosion," killing all five passengers on board.

Officials say they are working to piece together a timeline of what happened.

How could the catastrophic implosion of Titan occur?


Whats Next?

The multinational rescue effort has now become a recovery mission, with a remotely operated vehicle scouring the ocean floor in search of remains from the deadly implosion.

Only one remotely operated vehicle has reached the immense depths of the Titanic wreckage and the submarine debris field: Odysseus 6, operated by Pelagic Research Services.  

A robot is combing the sea floor for remains from the fatal implosion of the Titan submersible as authorities in the US and Canada shift their attention from search and rescue to investigating what led to the maritime disaster and searching establish whether any law was violated.

The US Coast Guard convened a Marine Board of Investigation to investigate the implosion, the "highest level of investigation conducted by the Coast Guard," the Guard's chief investigator, the Captain Jason Neubauer.

Investigators will review voice recordings from the mother ship that transported the submersible and its five occupants on their journey to the site of the Titanic wreckage, authorities said.

Canadian investigators boarded the ship Polar Prince this Saturday "to collect information from the ship's voyage data recorder and other ship systems that contain useful information," said Kathy Fox, president of the Ship Safety Board, on Saturday. Transport Canada.

Christine Dawood, whose husband Shahzada and son Suleman died aboard the submarine Titan, revealed that the 19-year-old was obsessed with the Rubik's cube and could solve the puzzle in 12 seconds.

The family had been planning a trip on the Titan submersible for some time, Dawood said, but it was postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

She had originally planned to take the trip with her husband because Suleman was too young at the time.

With reporting from CNN's Jessie Yeung, Jack Guy, Nouran Salahieh, Samantha Beech and Zoe Sottile

This article was originally published on June 27, 2023 and has been updated