Kerala Governor Arif Mohammed Khan spoke to the Vice-Chancellor of Cochin University.


Kerala Governor Arif Mohammed Khan took stock of the stampede incident during a tech fest at Cochin University. Four people lost their lives and several others were injured in the incident. Khan also spoke to the vice-chancellor of the university.

The Kerala Governor told ANI, "Very sad about the incident. I came to know about it last night. I spoke to the vice-chancellor and the vice-chancellor was not aware of the details. They told me last night that they are going to order an inquiry. Whatever the investigation, it's a huge loss."

"Four innocent people lost their lives and many were injured. He is in the hospital and I don't know what his condition is now. I'm really feeling it. My thoughts are with the families who have lost young, talented people."

Earlier today, Kerala Higher Education Minister R Bindu asked the principal secretary of the higher education department and the vice-chancellor of the university to submit their inquiry report on the incident.

On Saturday, the last day of a tech fest, there was a stampede in a hall of the main campus of Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT). At least four students were killed and over 46 injured in the incident.

According to the police, 16 injured have been discharged from the hospital so far.

Stampede when it rained suddenly

Regarding the reason for the stampede in the university, the police said that due to the sudden rain, there was a stampede in the campus during the concert. The incident took place before a singer Nikita Gandhi performed at the open-air auditorium at Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT).

According to civil authorities and police officials, the same gate was being used to enter and exit the open auditorium. Only pass holders were allowed inside. However, there was a long queue of people excited to go inside outside the gate. An eyewitness told the media that entry to the concert was limited to pass holders only. But many locals had gathered outside the auditorium.

People who were excited to watch the concert were seen in a long queue.

Senior police officer MR Ajit Kumar said the auditorium had a capacity of around 1,000 and many seats were vacant. The concert had not started at the time of the incident, so the auditorium was also not fully filled. The organizers were checking the pass and giving permission to go inside. Suddenly it started raining, people broke the queues and started pushing to go inside.

According to sources, the reason for this incident is also the announcement of the organizers, in which it was said that engineering students will be given entry first. According to a source, students from other streams were also eagerly waiting for their turn. When it started raining, he got a chance to break the queue and go inside and ran away. When the NDTV team reached the spot, it was found that the stairs near the open-air auditorium were very steep and due to this some students may have lost balance while running.