Hamas' military wing, the al-Qassam Brigades, decided to "delay the release of the second batch of prisoners until the occupation complies with the terms of the agreement related to the entry of relief trucks into the northern Gaza Strip," according to Reuters.

Successful Egyptian Intervention

Sky News Arabia's correspondent quoted official sources as saying that Egyptian efforts had succeeded in resolving the crisis and that the deal would be completed tonight.

Hamas said it "responded to the Egyptian-Qatari efforts that moved throughout the day to ensure the continuation of the interim truce agreement after they conveyed the occupation's commitment to all the conditions stipulated in the agreement."

Egypt and Qatar made contact after the exchange was suspended due to a dispute between Hamas and Israel over the release of detainees.

Majid al-Ansari, spokesman for the Qatari Foreign Ministry, said that "after a delay in implementing the release of prisoners from both sides, obstacles were overcome through Qatari-Egyptian contacts with both sides."

The Israel Prison Service said it had been given a green light to begin releasing Palestinian prisoners.

Our correspondent reported that the exchange included 39 Palestinian prisoners compared to 13 detainees.

Biden followed up on his own

Adrian Watson, a spokeswoman for the National Security Council, said President Biden spoke directly to Qatar's emir and prime minister on Saturday when the second day of the hostages' release appeared to be delayed.

After that call, senior U.S. officials were in contact with the Israelis, Qataris, and Egyptians to overcome obstacles to pursuing the handover deal held in Gaza during the ceasefire.

Watson said the Qataris told the White House in the early afternoon on the U.S. East Coast that the deal had been returned and that the International Committee of the Red Cross was moving to collect the hostages.

The President was briefed throughout the day on the status of the implementation of the hostage deal.

Extreme tension

The delay in the start of the exchange has led to high tension and fears of the collapse of the temporary truce.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Galant, Minister Gantz, the chief of staff and the head of the Mossad held security consultations on the fate of the truce and on Israel's response if the swap deal fails.

An Israeli military spokesman told French television channel BFM that Israel respected all the terms of the truce.

On Saturday evening, Israeli sources threatened Hamas to resume hostilities against it in the Gaza Strip, if the detainees in the second batch are not released.

Our correspondent in Jerusalem reported that Israeli sources gave Hamas until midnight local time to release the detainees.