Top 5 countries with the most tropical cyclones since 1970 1:25
(CNN Español) -- The 2023 tropical cyclone season is still on track and the latest cyclone formed in the Pacific Ocean on Tuesday.
This is Norma, which on Tuesday afternoon became a tropical storm in the Pacific, according to Mexico's National Meteorological Service (SMN).
- El Niño Phenomenon Increased Number of Tropical Cyclones Forecast in the Pacific Basin
Norma is the 14th tropical cyclone of the current season, in which it is estimated that there will be between 16 and 22 tropical cyclones.
The NWS forecasts that Norma will intensify to a hurricane on Wednesday.
Where is Norma headed, and what states does it threaten?
According to the SMN update at 5 a.m. ET on Wednesday, Tropical Storm Norma is located 655 kilometers from Manzanillo, Colima, a state in western Mexico.
Several states in this region of Mexico will already begin to feel the effects of this cyclone, but the strongest impact is expected to be on Monday, when Norma could make landfall as a category 1 hurricane in the state of Baja California Sur.
The SMN indicates that, as of this Wednesday, this is the estimated trajectory of Norma:
⚠️ This morning the #TormentaTropical #Norma continues to strengthen southwest of the coasts of #Colima and #Michoacán.
🤓 Learn about its trajectory and effects on #México👇https://t.co/VVYNAkgh8w pic.twitter.com/ZRcIXkkyN3
— CONAGUA Clima (@conagua_clima) October 18, 2023
As for the states threatened by Tropical Cyclone Normal, the following weather conditions are forecast:
- For this Wednesday, heavy rains (75 to 150 millimeters) are expected in Colima, Guerrero, Jalisco and Michoacán
- Probability of punctual heavy rains in southern Jalisco, Colima, Michoacán and Guerrero
- Showers in Nayarit and Oaxaca
- In addition, winds with gusts of 50 to 70 km/h and waves of 2 to 4 meters in Jalisco, Colima, Michoacán and Guerrero
The states threatened may change as Norma progresses, but for the time being the SMN "urges extreme precautions" in those four entities.
Tropical CycloneTropical Storm