The website of the Air Transport Safety Agency for Africa and Madagascar reported the news of the Nigerien ban on French aircraft.
"Niger's skies are available for all domestic and international flights except for French and French-chartered aircraft, including Air France," a statement published on the agency's website said.
Consecutive steps against France
- Since the coup against President Mohamed Bazoum's rule in late July, Niger's ruling junta has taken a series of steps that have greatly diminished French influence in the country.
- This included placing the French ambassador to Yanami, Sylvain Eté, under house arrest, prompting French President Emmanuel Macron to accuse the coup leaders of detaining the diplomat.
- The military encouraged popular protests against the presence of French troops in Niger, mobilizing thousands in front of the main French base.
- Niger's military personnel have given French troops a deadline to leave the country, but Paris said they did not have the legitimacy to make such a decision.
- They also canceled military agreements with Paris related to the French military presence in Niger, where the number of French soldiers is estimated at 1500,<>.