Find out from the article who was the first to recognize the independence of Ukraine, when the first parade took place on Khreshchatyk, what is the first date of the celebration of Independence Day (this is not August 24) and many other interesting facts.
On Thursday, August 24, 2023, we will celebrate the 32nd anniversary of Ukraine's declaration of independence. Today, as for many centuries in a row, Ukraine is fighting for its right to independence with weapons, so this holiday is very important for all Ukrainians. The article contains some interesting facts about Independence Day and Ukraine that are not known to everyone.
Top 10 interesting facts about Ukraine's independenceOn July 16, 1991, the Independence Day of Ukraine was celebrated for the first time, later the date was postponed to August 24.At the All-Ukrainian referendum, the people decided to proclaim the independence of the Ukrainian state. There was only one inscription on the piece of paper: "Do you confirm the Act of Declaration of Independence of Ukraine?" More than 90% of Ukrainians from all regions agreed.On August 23, 1991, a draft of the Act of Independence of Ukraine was written in the morning. The act was written by Leontiy Sanduliak and Levko Lukyanenko in an ordinary school notebook.On August 24, 1991, at an extraordinary meeting of the Verkhovna Rada of the Ukrainian SSR, 346 deputies voted for the independence of Ukraine.After the extraordinary session at the rostrum of the Verkhovna Rada, the oppositionists sang the anthem of the Ukrainian Sich Riflemen. The song was also picked up by people protesting on the street.Vyacheslav Chornovil proposed to bring into the hall of the Verkhovna Rada a blue and yellow flag, with which Ukrainians stood on the barricades near the Russian White House. Then the flag was raised over the dome of parliament.On January 28, 1992, the State Flag of Ukraine was officially approved as a state symbol of independence.The first military parade, dedicated to the Independence Day of Ukraine, was held on August 24, 1994.Poland became the first state in the world to recognize Ukraine's independence.The national currency of Ukraine was put into circulation on September 2, 1996.
Interesting facts about Ukraine
- Ukraine is the largest country by its area in Eastern Europe.
- The first higher educational institution in Eastern Europe, the Ostroh Academy, operated on the territory of the Ukrainian lands. It was founded by Prince Konstantin-Vasyl of Ostroh in 1576.
- One of the oldest constitutions in Europe is the Ukrainian Constitution of Pylyp Orlyk, which was proclaimed in 1710. Now the original of the first page of the Constitution is kept in the National Archives of Sweden.
- In 1934, at the beauty contest of languages in Paris, the Ukrainian language was recognized as the best, most harmonious and richest in the world. She took second place after the Italian.
- Ukrainians are the most singing nation in the world, which has created about 200 thousand folk songs. No other nation in the world has so many songs. UNESCO has an amazing collection of Ukrainian folklore and songs of the peoples of the world. In the Ukrainian fund there are 15.5 thousand folk songs, the second place is occupied by Italy, which has 6 thousand folk songs.
Congratulations on the Independence Day of Ukraine 2023: pictures in Ukrainian, prose, poems and SMS
A new stage of lamp exchange has started in Ukraine: who can get it and how
How much does it cost to collect a child to grade 1: a review of prices in Ukraine