Deliciously cooked new potatoes are not only pleasure, but also benefits for the body.
What is useful new potatoes
New potatoes contain vitamins B, A, C, PP and H, minerals - iodine, zinc, chromium, fluorine, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, phosphorus, chlorine and sulfur, as well as proteins and carbohydrates. New potatoes contain practically no fat. It has less starch than old potatoes, so it is healthier than old ones.
Due to the fact that new potatoes contain few calories, they are used in the diet.
Do I need to peel new potatoes before cooking
New potatoes must be peeled before cooking due to the fact that its skin is very thin and soft, easily separated from the pulp. And if such potatoes are cooked without peeling before, after cooking in water there will be many thin scales of potato peel.
New potatoes in uniforms can be cooked when they are slightly old, and the skin becomes slightly thicker, but the scales on it will still remain. Before cooking such potatoes, you need to wash them thoroughly and rub them with an abrasive sponge.
How to peel new potatoes
Peel new potatoes can be different. You can cut it like an old one with a knife, or you can scrape off the top thin layer of peel with a knife, or use a kitchen metal sponge for this.
How to cook new potatoes in water
- Put the peeled potatoes in a saucepan.
- Measure the water so that its level is a couple of fingers higher than the potatoes.
- Boil water without potatoes and only then put potatoes in boiling water
- After boiling water, salt the potatoes and cook for 15-20 minutes over medium heat.
Why potatoes are put in boiling water
If you pour potatoes with cold water, as people often do, in the process of cooking it will lose most of the nutrients. A more correct solution would be to put raw potatoes in boiling water.
How long to cook potatoes after boiling water
On average, after the water boils, it should be cooked over lower heat for 15-20 minutes.
How to understand that new potatoes are cooked
To check the readiness of the tuber you need to pierce it with a toothpick, fork or thin knife, preferably in the middle of the potatoif the potato is easily pierced, then it is ready for consumption.
When to salt water when cooking potatoes
If you want to get denser potatoes, salt them at the beginning of cooking. If you need softer and boiled potatoes, then salt them near the end of cooking.
How to cook new potatoes with dill
- Cook new potatoes.
- Strain the water from the container where the new potatoes were boiled.
- Add dill and butter to the pan.
- Close the lid, shake several times and leave for 5-10 minutes. No need to stir the potatoes with a spoon, it will be enough to shake.
- Instead of butter, new potatoes can be seasoned with vegetable oil or sour cream.
- A simple recipe for chicory kvass
- Apricot jam: popular and simple cooking recipes