Most of the trains affected due to the accident are from south and south-east railway zones.Balasore/New Delhi:
At least 90 trains have been cancelled and 46 diverted following the tragic train accident in Odisha's Balasore district on Friday. With this, 11 trains have already been stopped from their destination. Most of the trains affected due to the accident are from south and south-east railway zones. So far 288 passengers have been reported dead in the horrific train accident on Friday. According to the latest data released by the two zones of the Indian Railways, the South Eastern Railway has cancelled the Chennai-Howrah Mail, Darbhanga-Kanyakumari Express and the Kamakhya-LTT Express running on June <>. The railways has also cancelled the Patna-Puri special train scheduled to run on June <>.
The Southern Railway has also cancelled the Mangalore-Santragachi Vivek Superfast Express scheduled to depart from Mangalore at 11 pm on June 10, Dr MGR Chennai Central-Shalimar Coromandel Express scheduled to depart from Chennai at 20 am on June 11, Dr MGR Chennai Central - Santragachi AC superfast train scheduled to depart from Chennai at <>.<> am on June <>. Southern Railway has also cancelled the Rangapara North-Erode Superfast Special Train, Guwahati-Shri M. Visvesvaraya Bengaluru Superfast Express scheduled to depart from Guwahati at <>.<> am on June <>, Kamakhya-Shri M. Visvesvaraya Bengaluru AC Superfast Express scheduled to depart from Kamakhya at <> pm on June <>. Railways have decided to stop <> trains before their destination.
The South Eastern Railway has run a special MEMU train from Howrah to Balasore at 288 pm on June 1 to take relatives of the passengers affected by the accident to the spot. The train will halt at Santragachi, Uluberia, Bagnan, Machhera, Panskura, Balichak, Kharagpur, Hijli, Belda and Jaleshwar. Southern Railway is also running a special train from Chennai to Bhadrak for the families/relatives of those affected by the accident. Based on the data available till Saturday evening, officials said that so far 175 people have been confirmed dead in this accident. Odisha government officials said around 793 pm on Saturday that around 382,<> passengers were admitted to various hospitals, out of which <> have been discharged and <> are undergoing treatment. The condition of all but two patients is stable, he said.
See the list of cancelled trains here
Also read: Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik announces compensation for train accident victims
Also read: Jharkhand government officials, team of doctors to visit Odisha today
(This story has not been edited by the NDTV team; it has been published directly from the Syndicate feed.) )