With an identity card or with a personal (green) passport - for those born before December 31, 1931, you will vote in the sectional election commissions in the country for the upcoming parliamentary elections on April 2, according to the Election Code (IC).

If the personal (green) passport or identity card is expired, damaged, destroyed, lost or stolen, or in the process of being issued, the voter may vote but must present a certificate of issuance of personal documents.

The certificate is issued by the authorities of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, including on election day, provided that an application has been submitted by the voter for the issuance of a new identity card.

It provides an opportunity to exercise the right to vote, valid only for election day.

Parties skimp on advertising, here's who has the most expensive campaign to date

It is not possible to vote

in  the country

 with an international or other type of passport, as well as with a driver's license.

According to the IC, proxy voting is not allowed.

Voting is done personally by the voter at the polling station.

Identity documents with which we can vote abroad

Bulgarian citizens abroad

 can vote 

with a passport, identity card or military card


In the event that the validity period of the voter's identity document has expired, he is allowed to vote if he presents a certificate issued by the diplomatic or consular representation of Bulgaria that he has submitted an application for the issuance of a new identity document.

Voters voting on vessels under the Bulgarian flag, if they are passengers, must present a passport or identity card.

Crew members vote with a seaman's passport. 

Voting with a student card

Pupils, students and doctoral students, incl.

cadets and graduates, full-time students, can vote in the settlement where they study, if it is different from the settlement of their permanent address.

For this purpose, they must submit an identity document to the sectional election commission (SEC);

student ID card or student ID card for the relevant semester or a document (certificate) certifying full-time education certified by the educational institution with its seat in the settlement for the relevant academic year.

Also, on the spot, they have to fill out a model declaration (Appendix No. 23-NS) from the election papers, which is provided by the SEC.

Certificate of invalid, lost, damaged document

Before the vote on April 2, the issuance of personal documents will be accelerated, according to a statement from the Ministry of the Interior.

If it is not possible to issue a new identity card by the end of the working day on March 31 this year, at the request of the citizens, they will be issued the necessary certificate with which to vote.

A certificate is also issued for a lost, stolen and damaged document. 

In order for a certificate to be issued, citizens must submit a request in person at the Metropolitan Directorate of Internal Affairs, the Regional Directorate of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Regional Office (RU) or a section of the RU between March 28 and April 1 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ., or on April 2 from 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The certificates providing the opportunity to exercise the right to vote in the National Assembly elections are issued only after an application for the issuance of an identity card has been accepted.