The captain of the Kaohsiung-registered fishing boat "Man Da Fa" lied about the sinking of the fishing boat and applied for insurance claims, but was caught making false claims and sentenced to one year in prison.

schematic diagram.

(file photo)

[Reporter Bao Jianxin/Kaohsiung Report] The captain of the "Damanfa" surnamed Wu was suspected of falsely reporting that the fishing boat sank in the waters of the Marshall Islands, but he did not expect that 8 months later, the monitoring system inside the ship reported that it was parked in the port of the country, and was sentenced by the Kaohsiung Branch of the High Court According to the crime of forging documents, he was sentenced to 1 year in prison.

The verdict stated that on April 30, 2017, the captain of the "Damanfa" fishing boat, surnamed Wu, told a local shipping agency in Marshall that the fishing boat was in the Marshall Islands from April 29 to 30 due to water ingress in the cabin. After the ship sank in the waters of the Republic of China and notified the shipowner surnamed Hu who was unknown in the United States, the other party entrusted the domestic industry to handle the certificate and cancel the registration with the Bureau of Shipping and Ports.

Please read on...

Unexpectedly, between February 12th and 13th of the following year, the onboard fishing vessel monitoring system (hereinafter referred to as VMS, which is set up by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization to monitor the location of fishing vessels in various countries and is set up by the domestic conservation of fishery resources) still reported that the vessel was berthed at Majuro Port in Marshall. However, the Fisheries Department of the Council of Agriculture sent people to investigate and found that the fishing boat had not sunk.

The case was transferred by the Port Bureau to the Kaohsiung District Prosecutor's Office for investigation and prosecution.

Wu Nan confessed that the walrus was unstable on the day of the incident, and there was indeed a shipwreck. He and some crew members went ashore in different small boats, but it was not known whether it sank. Later, the boat was towed by others for repairs. It is no longer a Taiwanese fishing boat. .

The judges of the 1st and 2nd trials conducted investigations, and according to the photos provided by the Marshall embassy, ​​not only did they not see any signs of damage or repairs on the hull, but the appearance was consistent with the photos taken before the fishing boat accident. The wind and waves were not strong, and the walruses were not unstable as Wu pointed out. He was sentenced to 1 year in prison.