Flatulence is an excess accumulation of gases in the intestines.
Often, during this condition, a person feels a throbbing, cutting, sharp pain, which can sometimes cause fever.
in the Altamedika medical center, rare sudden attacks of flatulence are not life-threatening.
Abdominal bloating: causes
There can be many reasons for bloating.
Most often, this problem appears due to:
disorders in the work of the gastrointestinal tract, organs of the abdominal cavity;
intestinal obstruction, dysbacteriosis;
helminthiasis and acute intestinal infections;
irritable bowel syndrome;
hormonal changes (only in women).
It also often happens that bloating appears due to some products.
If you remove them from your daily diet, the problem can be eliminated.
Some foods contain a large amount of carbohydrates, which contribute to the formation of excess gas and bloating.
These foods are known medically as
(an acronym for fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols).
They contain such carbohydrates that our body cannot fully absorb.
When undigested carbohydrates accumulate in the intestines, they draw in excess gas and liquid, which causes bloating.
It is also quite difficult for the human body to absorb gluten - a protein that enzymes simply cannot digest.
Excess gas is often caused by foods that contain a lot of fiber (broccoli, beans, etc.).
Bloating after eating: 8 foods that cause excess gas
Bloating after eating: 8 foods that cause excess gas / Photo: Pexels
If you feel bloating after eating, you should review your diet.
Perhaps you too often include in it foods that cause an increase in gas in the intestines:
Kale, broccoli, cabbage
are cruciferous vegetables that contain raffinose (a sugar that remains undigested while it is fermented by bacteria in the gut).
Because of this, gas appears and the stomach swells.
However, long-term use of these foods can actually help, according
doctors, leading to a stronger and healthier digestive system.
Therefore, it is important to eat these vegetables, but it is better to reduce the portions.
And it is even better to steam any cabbage.
So the fiber softens and the vegetables are easier to digest.
- lentils, beans, soybeans, peas are known for their ability to form gases.
Although they contain a large amount of protein, they also contain fiber and sugar, which are difficult for the body to absorb.
Therefore, when legumes reach the colon, bacteria begin to feast on them.
This process leads to gas formation.
It is recommended to combine legumes with quinoa or rice.
- if you feel bloated after even a small slice of cheese, you may be lactose intolerant.
That is, your body does not have enough enzymes to break it down.
According to research published in the journal
in 2022, this can cause bloating.
To avoid problems, it is better to prefer lactose-free alternatives.
- they contain a lot of fiber, as well as fructose, sugar, and therefore many people experience unpleasant symptoms after their consumption.
However, they also help reduce the risk of heart disease, so it's important to eat them in moderation.
Food with a high salt content
- eating such dishes can provoke water retention.
But it is not enough just not to add a lot of salt during cooking.
It is also important to remember that sodium is found in processed and packaged foods (ready-made soups, instant noodles, fast food, etc.).
Therefore, it is better to avoid them.
Onions and garlic
are packed with soluble fiber called fructans.
These products are poorly digested by the body.
Also, according to
Tufts Medical Center
, some people may be intolerant to fructan.
- due to its high fructose content, it can cause bloating.
And such products
the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
Therefore, you should add them to your diet as rarely as possible.
- they contain gluten, which is difficult for our body to absorb.
Because of this, problems with digestion appear, including bloating.
How to quickly get rid of bloating: 16 products that will help you
How to quickly get rid of bloating: 16 products that will help you / Photo: Pexels
There are also products that help get rid of bloating and improve the condition of the digestive system.
Among them are:
- People often use them to reduce puffiness under the eyes.
And cucumbers work the same way for your stomach.
They contain quercetin (flavonoid antioxidant), which helps to get rid of bloating.
is a real superfood for your gut, helping to expel excess water to ease symptoms of bloating.
Asparagus also contains prebiotics that help "good" bacteria to grow.
Zucchini and Carrots
- These vegetables are not high in carbohydrates, so they are great if you need to reduce bloating.
Chicken meat, fish
- they contain a lot of protein, so they help fight flatulence.
Lean proteins especially
healthy digestion in people with irritable bowel syndrome.
- Bananas, as well as avocados, oranges, kiwis, pistachios, are rich in potassium, so they prevent water retention and regulate sodium levels in the body.
And bananas are rich in soluble fiber, which helps fight constipation.
- In 2020,
was published in the journal IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science that showed that the main enzyme in papaya (papain) helps break down proteins and facilitate digestion.
And this tropical fruit has anti-inflammatory properties.
- they contain a special enzyme (bromelain) that helps improve digestion and better break down proteins.
(blueberries, strawberries, strawberries, etc.) - however, it is worth remembering that they contain a lot of sugar, which can be harmful to your body.
Always consume them in moderation.
- the probiotics contained in this product help regulate digestion, and also support the overall balance of the digestive tract.
is another dairy product that is great for flatulence.
But it is better to choose lactose-free options.
- it works real miracles with the gastrointestinal tract, helping, in particular, to fight flatulence.
- it contains the enzyme zingibain, which helps the digestive system break down proteins.
Food is better digested, and therefore bloating is reduced.
Chamomile or peppermint tea
- a 2020 study by the
Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies
showed that these drinks relax the muscles of the gastrointestinal tract, so bloating is better.
- this vegetable consists mostly of water and also contains a lot of potassium.
significantly improve digestion.
And that's why celery helps to get rid of unpleasant symptoms of flatulence.
- it helps improve digestion, and also reduces inflammation and pain in the abdominal area.
- this spice contains a large amount of antioxidants that help get rid of excess gas.
In 2015, a study was published in the journal
that showed that our ancestors used cinnamon regularly to treat a variety of digestive problems.