Ricky Martin (Credit: STEFANO RELLANDINI/AFP via Getty Images)

(CNN EspaƱol) -- The Puerto Rico Department of Justice reported Friday that there is no basis to charge Ricky Martin after conducting an investigation between the San Juan Prosecutor's Office and the Police Bureau in relation to a sexual assault complaint filed against the Puerto Rican singer by his nephew Dennis Yadiel Sanchez Martin.

"The filing of charges against Enrique Martin Morales, publicly known as Ricky Martin, as a result of a sexual assault complaint filed against him in September 2022 is not admissible," said the statement sent by the institution's press office.

The document details that the evidence obtained by the Police and the Public Prosecutor's Office in the investigation is not consistent with the allegations nor does it support the accusations. "In view of this, the San Juan Prosecutor's Office is prevented from initiating a criminal process in court," the statement said.

Jose Andreu Fuentes, Martin's attorney, told CNN that the Justice Department's decision was made "because of the lack of credibility of those allegations and because they have no basis in any fact."

  • Ricky Martin sues his nephew for extortion

The singer's public relations officer, Helga Garcia, reported that Martin will give statements in the coming days. CNN has tried to get a reaction from Dennis Yadiel Sanchez Martin's lawyers on the Justice Department's decision, but so far has not received a response.

advertising

The singer was in the media spotlight for a temporary protection order related to alleged domestic violence following the harassment allegation made by his 21-year-old nephew in early July 2022 and which the performer always refuted and rejected.

At a hearing held on July 21 of that year, a judge decided not to extend the temporary protective order against Martin, as the singer's nephew requested to dismiss the case.

After the hearing, the Puerto Rico police said the protection order issued against Martin would be "shelved" since "there is nothing criminal" pending, according to Axel Valencia, a police spokesman.

In September 2022, Ricky Martin filed a lawsuit with the Court of First Instance of San Juan for extortion, malicious prosecution, abuse of law, damages against his nephew. In the lawsuit, Martin sought financial damages totaling at least $30 million, alleging that Sanchez's actions caused him to have "million-dollar contracts and present and future artistic projects" canceled. Andreu Fuentes, Martin's attorney, told CNN that case is currently in the discovery stage.

Ricky Martin