Speaking to NBC, Emma Hemming described how her husband's illness affected their family life, saying:
- What I'm learning is that dementia is difficult.
- It's hard for the person who suffers from it, and it's hard for their family.
- That's no different for Bruce or for me or for our daughters.
- When they say this is a familial disease, it is.
- It's hard to tell if my husband really realizes he has dementia.
- I think diagnosing his injury was a blessing and a curse, just knowing what happens to Bruce makes it a little easier.
- It's good to finally understand what he's experiencing, even though it's still painful.
- When you know what the disease is from a medical point of view, it makes some sense.
- Bruce really wants us to be happy with what's there, and he really wants that for me and our family. He is a person who continues to give, love and be patient.
The famous American actor retired from art in March 2022, due to speech problems, before he was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia, last February.