This afternoon (4th), an explosion occurred at the 616 beef hot pot specialty store on Sheffield Road in Wan Chai, causing food and debris to scatter, causing injuries to three diners. EMSD said that after investigation, it was found that two handheld LPG stoves were used flat on the table at the time of the incident, and it was suspected that the LPG cartridges were overheated due to improper use and exploded.
After inspection, the furnace in question was confirmed to be free of the GU mark and had not obtained written approval from the Director of Electrical and Mechanical Services (i.e. the Director of Electrical and Mechanical Services). The DH will investigate and follow up on suspected breaches of the Gas Safety Ordinance.
The Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) said that in response to the explosion of LPG cylinders at a hot pot restaurant in Wan Chai today, the Department sent officers to the scene to investigate, pointing out that two handheld LPG stoves were used flat on the table at the time of the incident, and it was suspected that the LPG cartridges overheated and exploded due to improper use.
The spokesman pointed out that the handheld truck type LPG stove in question was SENGOKU BDZ-152-MN1, which was not approved by the signatory and did not have the GU mark. The DH will investigate and follow up on suspected breaches of the Gas Safety Ordinance. Under the Gas Safety Ordinance, with effect from January 2003, all residential gas appliances, including handheld LPG stoves, supplied and sold for use in Hong Kong must obtain written approval from the Gas Safety Authority (i.e. the Director of Electrical and Mechanical Services). Approved residential gas appliances must bear the "GU" mark for identification. If there is evidence that the importer has contravened the relevant regulations, it may be prosecuted.
The DH urges the public not to use the two furnaces in a flat row to avoid overheating
Members of the public are urged to purchase and use cassette stoves approved by the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department and bearing the "GU" logo. In addition, when using LPG stoves, members of the public should not use two hand-held truck LPG stoves in a flat row; Ensure adequate ventilation when using a hand-held LPG stove; In addition, ensure that the installation and removal of LPG cylinders should be kept away from flames and heat sources; Pots that exceed the stove surface of the portable cassette stove should not be used to avoid overheating the cassette cylinder.
616 Restaurant Group issued a statement in the evening saying that the products of the cassette gas stove have been removed from the shelves of the entire line immediately after the accident, and the branches involved are temporarily closed today. The management has immediately visited the hospital in person to visit and apologise to the injured guests, and has closely followed up with the insurance company's representatives on liability and compensation matters.
The incident occurred at about 1pm today, when a male and female couple were eating in the store, one pot per person, during which a gas explosion occurred in one of the fire boilers, scattering food and debris, resulting in a cut on the neck, heart and arm of the 21-year-old female diner surnamed Liu, while the 23-year-old boyfriend, surnamed Ren, was slightly cut by fragments on the neck. Another 40-year-old woman, surnamed Tan, reported tinnitus caused by the explosion. The three injured were taken by ambulance to Ruttonjee Hospital for treatment. It is understood that after the fire investigation, the incident was deemed to be not suspicious, and the Electrical and Mechanical Department was notified to follow up at the scene, and the officers of the Electrical and Mechanical Department were found to seize the stove and conduct further tests after arriving at the scene.
Wan Chai hot pot restaurant explosion|The LPG stove involved in the incident made in China 616 apologizes: all related products are removed from the shelves of the gas stove at Sheffield Road hot pot restaurant in Wan Chai 3 diners were injured and sent to the hospital