49-year-old Miss Li was found to have 2 polyps about 1 cm in size in the sigmoid colon after colonoscopy, and the doctor removed them endoscopically.

(Provided by Dr. Chen Jianan)

[Reporter Wang Junzhong/Tainan Report] 49-year-old Miss Li has been suffering from abdominal distension for a long time, and has changed her bowel habits in recent months. The solid bowel movement turned into diarrhea. She went to Da'an Women's and Children's Hospital for treatment. 1 cm large polyps, the physician performed endoscopic removal of the polyps, and it was confirmed that it was a colorectal adenoma. If it is not treated immediately, there is a high chance of developing colorectal cancer in the future.

Chen Jian'an, director of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatobiliary and Gastroenterology at Da'an Women's and Children's Hospital, said that due to the impact of the Wuhan pneumonia (new coronavirus disease, COVID-19) epidemic, the number of colorectal cancer screening tests in China has dropped by 20% in the past three years, and abnormal fecal occult blood tests have been referred for colonoscopy. Mirrorers also decreased by 6%.

He emphasized that the process of canceration will not be slowed down by the epidemic. If colonoscopy is not performed in time for abnormal screening tests, the risk of colorectal cancer will increase by 30% if the examination is performed more than half a year; 2.8 times, regular colorectal cancer screening can ensure the health of the "intestine".

Please read on...

According to statistics from the National Health Service, colorectal cancer has ranked first in the incidence of cancer for more than 10 consecutive years.

In 2019, the data showed that the number of people with colorectal cancer was 17,302, with an average of 1 person suffering from colorectal cancer every 30 minutes.

Chen Jianan explained that about 20% of colorectal cancer patients are related to heredity and genes; the remaining 80% are related to factors such as living habits.

Such as age (usually more than 50 years old, but not young without colorectal cancer), history of colorectal cancer or polyps, history of chronic inflammatory bowel disease, hereditary non-polyposis, familial polyposis syndrome, etc. ; Those who are related to lifestyle, such as high-fat diet, obesity, lack of exercise, smoking and drinking, are all risk factors for colorectal cancer.

Chen Jian'an said that early colorectal cancer may have no symptoms, and it is not easy to diagnose colorectal cancer from symptoms. Preliminary screening can be done by fecal occult blood. As the tumor grows, there may be abdominal pain and changes in bowel habits (sudden or gradual). Diarrhea or constipation), changes in stool pattern (such as thinning into strips, bloody stools, and mucus stools), abnormal weight loss, loss of appetite, palpable abdominal mass, weakness and easy fatigue, unexplained iron-deficiency anemia, and other symptoms .

Because the early symptoms of colorectal cancer are not obvious, the National Health Administration provides free fecal occult blood examination every 2 years for people aged 50 to 74. Colorectal cancer high-risk groups for early treatment.

In Taiwan, the risk of colorectal cancer is 15-25 times higher for those with a positive fecal screen than the general population. 50% of them have polyps and 5% have colorectal cancer. Blocks the progression of precancerous lesions and cancer.

Chen Jianan urged the public to develop good eating habits, reduce the intake of high-fat, low-fiber and processed foods, exercise moderately to control weight, sit for a while, quit smoking and alcohol, and regularly perform fecal occult blood tests. .

Affected by the Wuhan pneumonia epidemic, the number of colorectal cancer screenings in China has dropped by 20% in the past three years. Chen Jianan (left), director of the Gastroenterology, Hepatobiliary Department of Tainan Daan Women's and Children's Hospital, suggested that the public should have regular cancer screenings to keep their "intestines" healthy.

(Photo by reporter Wang Junzhong)

☆Do not miss health news, follow the fan page by like.


☆For more important medical news, please visit the free health network.

keywords

  • colorectal cancer

  • Have loose bowels

  • Fecal occult blood test

  • large intestine polyps

  • Colorectal Cancer Screening

related news