Oxfam: People with the greatest fortunes got richer 2:34

(CNN Spanish) — The Annual Wealth Report of the British company Knight Frank, a British real estate consultancy, reveals the necessary wealth that must be part of the exclusive richest 1% in 25 countries and or territories.

The data reflects that Monaco tops the list with the densest population of super-rich individuals. To be among the richest 1% of people in the principality, you need a net worth of US $12.4 million.

In second place, Switzerland follows with a great distance, since in the country it takes US $ 6.6 million (almost half of what is required in Monaco) to be part of the richest 1%.

Australia ranks third, with $5.5 million; followed by New Zealand, with US$ 5.2 million; The United States, with about $5.1 million, and Ireland with $4.3 million.


  • Canelo Alvarez's fortune: How much he earns from fights, sponsorships, real estate and more

The Knight Frank report shows three countries on the European continent with a relatively small difference. These are the United Kingdom, with US$ 3.3 million; Italy, with US$ 2.6 million, and Spain, with US$ 2.5 million.

In Asia, Singapore has the highest threshold, with US$ 3.5 million needed to belong to that 1%. This is followed by Hong Kong, with US$ 3.4 million; Japan, where US$ 1.7 million is needed, and the last place on the continent is occupied by China, with US$ 960,000.

In the Middle East, the gap between one country and another is significant. In the United Arab Emirates you need a net worth of US $ 1.6 million to be part of the richest 1% of the country, while in Saudi Arabia you have to have US $ 740,000.

In Latin America, Brazilians need about $433,000 to belong to the richest 1% of the population, followed by Mexico, with a relatively low $383,000.

According to Oxfam's annual report on inequality released in January, in the past two years, the world's richest 1% of people captured almost twice as much wealth as the rest. The fortunes of the super-rich have accelerated during the pandemic, skyrocketing by $26 trillion, while the remaining 99% of the population only increased their net worth by $16 trillion.

Inequality in Latin America

The richest 1% in Latin America highlights the problem of inequality in the region, where poverty is a widespread reality. According to projections in the 2022 report of the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), in Latin America 201 million people live in poverty (more than 30% of the total population) of which 82 million (more than 13%) are in extreme poverty.

ECLAC's Gini Index registered in 2020 reflects that the national average in Latin America is 0.464, a figure that has been worsening since 2010.

The Gini coefficient measures inequality in income distribution and ranges from 0 to 1, where 0 is perfect equality and 1 is perfect inequality.

The Gini Index increased significantly with the pandemic, since in addition to the significant number of layoffs registered in the continent, only 21% of those employed in the region could carry out remote work, according to data from ECLAC's Social Panorama.